(3) With the success of obtaining the commission benefits for
the members in 1947, the union's development continued to thrive.
Realizing that it was important for the members' children to
receive education, the union adopted an education policy. In
1947 and 1948, the first and second primary schools (daytime)
for members' children were established respectively. Three evening
schools were set up in Kowloon, Eastern and Western Districts
of Hong Kong Island. Altogether five schools were established.
In 1949, the schools were subsidized by the Education Department
and became government-subsidized primary schools with more than
The first primary school was originally located in two buildings,
one was on Second Street in Sai Ying Pun and the other on Water
Street. After that, due to the owner's resumption of the building,
the school building on Second Street was moved to its current
address on 3rd floor, 259-269 Des Voeux Road West. The first
principal of the school was Mr. Lau Chun Wing.
The second primary school was on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors
of 624-626 Canton Road in Kowloon. The first principal was Mr.
Cho Mang Keung. Later, since the building on Canton Road had
to be dismantled, and the plan to rebuild the second primary
school died on the vine, the second primary school, which had
been established for more than 20 years, was closed down.
(4) Besides education, the union also concerned about the
aged members who had no one to take care of. As a result,
the "Fund for the Disabled and the Aged" was set up. At first,
every member could receive a living expense of $30 each month.
Later it was raised to $50 which greatly helped those members
who were aged or disabled. Today, the "Fund for the Disabled
and the Aged" continues to support the union members.
In 1961, while the 7th president was still serving his term
of office, it was realized that the one-year term of office
for the president of the council was too short to complete
the tasks; hence, the constitution of the union was revised
to change the term of office from one year to two years. In
the same year, the "Hong Kong & Kowloon Restaurant and Cafe
Workers General Union Family Members Welfare Association"
was set up so that family members of the union members can
also receive welfare benefits. Under the principle of helping
each other out, when a union member passed away, his family
could receive subsidies from the association to arrange funeral
service. Afterwards the authority considered the association
as illegal. Therefore, in 1964, the union hired a lawyer and
the association had to re-register with the Societies Officer
and was renamed "Restaurant Workers' Family Members Welfare
Association." It was an independent organization, but its
office was located inside the union's main office.
In 1965, due to the owner's resumption of the building on
Queen Victoria Street in Central, both the union's main office
and the welfare association had to move to Hennessy Road in
Wanchai. Not to mention when the welfare association was first
established, the organization itself and its personnel structure
were still immature, and the principle of helping each other
out was not fully carried out. As a result, there were financial
problems within the association. Until 1969, the welfare association
was still a shaky organization. For the union's reputation,
the union's council decided that the welfare association's
office had to be separated from the union's office. In 1970,
the welfare association's office was moved to Portland Street
in Kowloon and soon it was disintegrated.